Sunday, February 6, 2011

Good luck is often with the man who doesn’t include it in his plans

Whew… here I am again. Same old story, I think.

Last year, I applied for a foreign training scholarship and was one of those nominated by my department. Unfortunately, my nomination letter was signed three days late of the deadline and after I gave it to the sponsoring agency and asked one of the staff to include it in my papers I was told that my other docs were already sent to the sponsoring country. What? The most important doc (my nomination letter) was still with me and you sent my package to …. without it! Right there and then I knew I would not get that scholarship grant.

A couple of days ago I found another opportunity to apply in a foreign a training program, actually, it was my colleague who saw the details and was so kind to relay the information to me. So I called the department personnel for some pieces of information… and I was told that the program was closed ten days ago. Ahhhh. Am I destined to lose, again?

No, not this time… I told myself. I insisted that the program’s deadline would still be next month how come it was already closed? She told me to wait for she will ask her superior. So I waited… waited with a smile on my lips … anticipating for a positive response and voila! This wonderful girl told me that the deadline was extended for another day and if I have the proper documents I will be interviewed the next day. I almost fall on my sit… err… I got so excited… I faxed the docs that day and had my interview the other day.

I was speechless during the interview, if anybody would come nearer he/she would hear the sounds of my heartbeat. I was so nervous…after signing the attendance sheet I was asked to wait for a while and later I was asked to answer essay questions… what? I thought it was an interview?

So I answered essay questions that asked what the training program would do to myself and my organization. I cannot forget my answers especially the last paragraph, to wit: “Helen Keller was once asked, “What would be worst than being born blind?” she said, “Having a sight without a vision.” and I added words that the program will provide sight with vision to my department.

During the interview proper I was told to answer four major questions and some minor ones by the panel of interviewers.

After the interview I was told by the desk officer to prepare some other documents especially the nomination form. I dropped on my chair!

Tomorrow I will discuss the other details… I am so tired.

-------------
This is a repost. I am migrating all my files from Friendster to this blog.

No comments: