Sunday, October 25, 2009

Home Anew!

I went to my hometown yesterday, in haste, to see once again the festive celebration at Barcenaga, Oriental Mindoro. I immediately ordered my wife and kids to go to the JAM bus station for a long drive to Batangas Pier. We missed the 12:00 midnight Ro-Ro ride though due to slow driving mode of the bus driver, instead we catched the 2:00 a.m. ride. Every one felt haggard and wasted because of the long trip.

It's been a long time since I last set foot at our island. I couldn't barely notice the young people I confronted with. The youngsters were very tall I supposed. I came here for two reasons: first, to attend our town fiesta and second, to seek for spiritual blessing from my parish priest regarding my quest for scholarship. I been a fan of spiritual blessing since I got it from a priest at Baybay, Leyte. There was an international conference that time and I was about to take the examination for teachers. The blessing was very effective since I passed the examination now I'm hoping that this request would still be an effective one. I hope that my superiors would let me join and compete in the Japanese scholarship.

As usual, the fiesta celebration had been attended by various people from different places and the extravagant and lavish food were visible all over households. When I was younger I remembered that during fiestas there where shed of blood that arised because of drunkness, well this one is not different. It just came to my knowledge that series of fights happened near our place and one of the victims was at ICU.

Speaking of my visit, I ate several sets of food prepared by my sisters and enjoyed my experienced here. My ageing mother is still on her good mood and what touched me most was when I overheard her saying, "I am happy because everyone comes but what would make me sad is when all of you leave." Whew...

I played chess with my colleagues from the Calapan Chess Club and visited "peryahan" and "tianggehan".

I offered a mass (8:00 a.m.) delivered by the provincial bishop. I have been searching for him for guidance but instead saw my town priest.

Tomorrow we would leave for Manila after enjoying two-day stay.

No comments: