Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Helping Cats in the Time of Turmoil

  I am not really a cat person, but yesterday was different.  

Amidst the strong wind and heavy rain caused by Typhoon Rolly, I found a mother cat carrying a little kitten using her mouth (back and forth through the hallway near our condo unit) in Binondo, Manila.  She seemed to be in panic mode looking for a safe place due to the scary weather condition. My attention was not really directed to them as I was preparing for a big chess tournament by the National Chess Federation of the Philippines which was a Rapid Open Tournament via Tornelo.   

However, as the wind continued to blow the mighty cat with a kitten repeatedly appeared in front of my door too.  I saw them through the screen and I felt so disturbed.  I hastily opened the door and let them in. BTW, my family was feeding two other bigger kittens (from the same mother) outside the Cluster 3 building so perhaps it was the familiarity that kept us connected.  

But as I wipe the mother cat and the kitten, she went near the door for almost a minute and I wondered why would she leave her kitten?  I open the door and she ran so fast and after 2-3 minutes came back with another kitten.  She did it 3 times until she got all her babies totaling 4 in all.  Whew!  

I am so proud of this mommy's heroic acts of saving her moggy. I took the bigger kittens too to have them reunited.  


I am not sure if I will return them outside the building after the storm since they do not have caretakers, but to tell you frankly.  I am beginning to love them!

No comments: