Monday, June 25, 2012

A Dismal Performance at the Manila Chessfest!

I joined the 441st Manila Open Chess Tournament yesterday at SM Manila Lower Basement and I scored 4.5 out of 8 games. I scored 4 wins, 3 losses, and a draw. I could have scored better had I not lost the last game and probably get the category award as the best unrated player of the event. However, I was not as lucky as the rest of the newbies since I was paired with the veteran NM Adrian Ros Pacis. After post-mortem analysis, NM Pacis suggested that I should have not taken his knight on g5 for it gave him the opportunity to push his pawns. My other disappointing game happened on the 5th round wherein after having a pawn and a spatial advantage the game ended in a truce. My lapses on judgment was very clearly evident as I gave away every advantage I had as I self-destruct.

Perhaps, I should join tournaments again in the future to further my experience.

Congratulations to the winners and to all the players as well. Special mention to GM Laylo, GM Antonio, and NM Andador for getting the major awards and to all the sponsors (i.e., Mayor Alfredo S. Lim, PAGCOR, Spartan Mining, and SM Prime Holdings of course for the venue! Below are the results of my games against various opponents:

No comments: