Wednesday, August 12, 2026

The Midlife Crisis I Never Saw Coming



The Midlife Crisis I Never Saw Coming

Between the Chessboard, My Stroke, My Family, and the Dreams I Had to Postpone

There are moments in life when you suddenly stop and ask yourself:

“Is this really where I am supposed to be?”

Not because you have failed.

Not because you have stopped dreaming.

But because you realize that the person you used to be can no longer do everything the way he used to.

That, for me, is what midlife crisis feels like.

It is not always about buying a sports car, changing careers, or suddenly wanting to be young again.

Sometimes, midlife crisis is much quieter.

It happens when you look at an old photograph of yourself and whisper:

“Kaya ko pa kaya?”

♟️ THE CHESSBOARD THAT I MISS

For years, chess has been more than a game to me.

It has been part of my identity.

I am a chess athlete. I am an Arena Grandmaster. I have competed in the Philippines and even in Malaysia. I have experienced the tension of the clock, the silence before a move, the excitement of finding a winning combination.

Chess taught me patience.

It taught me sacrifice.

It taught me that sometimes you have to lose a piece to win the game.

But life gave me a lesson that no chessboard could prepare me for.

Stroke.

Suddenly, the athlete who was accustomed to competing had to learn a completely different kind of competition.

The opponent was no longer sitting across the chessboard.

The opponent was inside me.

My body.

My limitations.

My uncertainty.

And sometimes, my own fear.

I still love chess.

I still crave the smell of tournament halls, the sound of chess clocks, the handshake before the first move.

But there are tournaments I can no longer simply join.

Not because I don't want to.

Because my body sometimes says, “Not yet.”

And that hurts.

Masakit.

Because when you are an athlete, you don't simply miss a tournament.

You miss a piece of yourself.

📚 THE LEARNER WHO STILL WANTS TO LEARN

And then there is another part of me that refuses to grow old:

The learner.

I have always craved learning.

New courses. New technologies. New ideas. New skills. New opportunities.

Whenever I see a new program, scholarship, fellowship, training, or course, something inside me still says:

“Gusto ko 'yan.”

But then reality sits beside me.

Tuition. Transportation. Food. Bills. Family expenses. My children's needs. The everyday responsibilities of being a husband and a father.

And I find myself doing the mathematics of the heart:

“Kung gagastusin ko ito para sa sarili kong pag-aaral, saan kukunin ang panggastos ng pamilya?”

So I postpone.

Again.

And again.

And sometimes, I wonder how many dreams I have quietly sacrificed— not because I didn't have the ability, but because someone else needed me more.

Maybe that is one of the most painful parts of adulthood.

When you were young, you asked:

“What do I want?”

When you become a parent, you begin asking:

“What does my family need?”

And somewhere between those two questions, your own dreams sometimes get lost.

🚪 THE OPPORTUNITIES THAT PASSED ME BY

There are opportunities I remember.

Some I pursued.

Some I missed.

Some I wasn't ready for.

And some simply came at the wrong time.

There are doors I look back at now and think:

“What if I had entered that door?”

What if I had studied that course?

What if I had accepted that opportunity?

What if I had traveled there?

What if I had competed in that tournament?

What if I had started earlier?

What if my body had remained stronger?

What if I had more money?

What if I were younger?

Those questions can become dangerous.

Because “what if” has no endgame.

Like a chess position you keep analyzing long after the game has ended, you can spend your entire life replaying moves that cannot be changed.

And perhaps that is another lesson I am slowly learning:

You cannot win a game by constantly analyzing the position you already left behind.

⏳ AGE IS ANOTHER OPPONENT

There is something strange about getting older.

When you are young, thirty seems old.

Then forty comes.

Then fifty.

Then suddenly you realize:

Time is no longer something you take for granted.

You become more conscious of the years.

You see younger people receiving opportunities you once dreamed about.

You watch new athletes rise.

You see new professionals begin careers.

You see students freely pursue degrees and dreams.

And sometimes you wonder:

“Am I already too late?”

That question has visited me many times.

Especially after my stroke.

Because recovery teaches you humility.

You celebrate things that other people take for granted.

Standing. Walking. Moving. Speaking. Trying again.

And every small victory reminds you:

I am still here.

♟️ BUT MAYBE THIS IS NOT THE ENDGAME

Perhaps I have been looking at midlife crisis from the wrong side of the chessboard.

Maybe it is not a crisis of age.

Maybe it is a crisis of identity.

Who am I now?

If I cannot compete the way I used to, am I still an athlete?

If I cannot study every course I want, am I still a learner?

If my body has limitations, am I still strong?

If opportunities have passed, do I still have a future?

I think I finally know the answer.

YES.

Yes, I am still an athlete. Because an athlete is not defined only by medals.

Yes, I am still a learner. Because curiosity does not have an expiration date.

Yes, I am still strong. Because strength is not the absence of disability.

Strength is continuing despite it.

And yes, I still have a future.

Because the game is not over.

♟️ I MAY HAVE LOST SOME MOVES. BUT I HAVE NOT LOST THE GAME.

My stroke changed my life.

My disability changed the way I move through the world.

Age has changed my opportunities.

Family responsibilities have changed my priorities.

And yes, there are dreams I have had to postpone.

But I refuse to call them dead.

Postponed is not the same as abandoned.

Maybe I cannot chase every dream anymore.

Maybe I have to choose carefully.

Maybe I have to be wiser about where I spend my time, energy, and money.

Maybe my next victories will look different.

Maybe they won't come with trophies.

Maybe they will come as another course completed.

Another book read.

Another skill learned.

Another tournament attended—even if I am not the one playing.

Another young person inspired.

Another day when I wake up and say:

“I still want to learn.”

🏆 MY NEW DEFINITION OF WINNING

I used to think winning meant defeating an opponent.

Now I understand that sometimes winning means simply refusing to surrender.

Winning is getting up after the fall.

Winning is accepting the body you have while continuing to strengthen the mind you possess.

Winning is choosing family without completely abandoning yourself.

Winning is looking at your age and saying:

“Yes, I am older. But I am not finished.”

The chessboard of life has changed.

Some pieces have been taken.

Some moves can no longer be played.

But there are still pieces on the board.

And as long as there is a piece left...

there is a move.

SO, AM I HAVING A MIDLIFE CRISIS?

Maybe I am.

But perhaps this crisis is not asking me to become the person I was twenty years ago.

Perhaps it is asking me to discover who I can still become.

The younger me wanted to conquer the world.

The older me wants to make sense of it.

The athlete in me still wants to compete.

The survivor in me wants to inspire.

The father in me wants to provide.

The educator in me wants to teach.

The learner in me still wants to discover.

And the dreamer in me?

HE REFUSES TO RETIRE.

I may have missed opportunities.

I may have lost time.

I may have limitations that I never asked for.

But I still have something incredibly valuable:

ANOTHER MOVE.

And tomorrow morning, I intend to make it.

CHECKMATE IS NOT YET WRITTEN.

Still learning.
Still fighting.
Still dreaming.
Still living.
🏷️ BLOG LABELS

Midlife Crisis Stroke Survivor Chess Athlete Para-Athlete Life After Stroke Personal Growth Family First Lifelong Learning Chasing Dreams Resilience Second Chances Inspirational Story Filipino Life
#Hashtags
#MidlifeCrisis #StrokeSurvivor #ChessAthlete #ParaAthlete #LifeAfterStroke #StillLearning #StillFighting #StillDreaming #ChasingDreams #SecondChances #NeverTooLate #LifelongLearner #Resilience #KeepGoing #FamilyFirst #PurposeDriven #FromSetbackToComeback #LifeLessons #FilipinoStory #TheGameIsNotOver

No comments: